How We Got into the Bike Shop Business
Set your way-back machine for 2014. While our service manager was still in vocational school, and our general manager was still in the IT business, a small family-owned bike shop was just opening up in Naples, FL.
This shop occupied just 925 square feet in a corner rental unit on the far northeast end of Naples. It offered bicycle repair, flat tire repair, bicycle accessories like bottle cages and baskets, and even offered pickup, delivery, and mobile bike repair.
When the owners of that bike shop decided it was time to retire, they began looking for a new management team to come in and take over the shop. They wanted new owners--people who absolutely love bicycling and want share quality biking experiences with the community.
The timing was perfect because the shop's new owners were just leaving the IT business in 2016, and by then our service manager had been servicing bikes and three-wheelers for four years already.
It was the perfect storm! We rebooted the business, officially adopted the name "Cycle Shack" and the slogan "Let's Ride".
We added new services, including bicycle rentals, and retooled our product line with upscale, long-lasting products from respected companies like Topeak, Fuji, 3G Bikes, CygoLite, SE Bikes, and Wald. We added online sales of bicycles and parts on our web site, too.
We also sponsored new group bike rides and launched Team Cycle Shack to aide local and regional athletes in achieving their goals. The result of all of this? Cycle Shack is now the highest-rated bike shop in Collier County, FL.
So that's our story! We would love to hear yours. Contact us.
Fun Facts About Bicycling and Bike Culture
Our favorite thing to say is, "everything about bicycling is positive," and this is true in so many ways. Next time you're riding your bike, think about these facts:
- Cycling is good for body, mind, and spirit.
- Cycling is the only form of vehicle-assisted transport that actually improves the functioning of the human body!
- There are 75 million adult cyclists in the U.S. over the age of 14. 12% of them commute to work regularly on their bicycle.
- By employing the energy unit of the calorie, bicycling is over 300 times more energy-efficient than driving a car, and almost 100 times more energy-efficient than riding a motorcycle.
- Bicycle maintenance is 92% less costly than automobile maintenance.
- The municipal fiscal burden imposed by bicycling is a tiny fraction of the burden imposed by public transportation like busses and trains.
- A single there-and-back bike commute, 5 days a week, will burn nearly 40,000 calories on average. Translated into very rough weight-loss terms, that's a loss of 12 to 15 pounds per year, just by riding to work.
How Cycle Shack Beats the Box Stores and Amazon
Our strategy for providing you with a superior shopping and service experience is summed up in these five points:
- Assembly - Our bikes undergo final assembly by professional cycle mechanics. At a box store, the bikes are assembled (often unsafely) by the same untrained part-timers that assemble the grills at the big box hardware store.We even sell professional local assembly when you buy one of our bikes online. Try finding that on Amazon!
- Quality Products, not Just Talk About Quality - There's a reason why we curate the products we do. We choose Fuji Bikes precisely because it isn't Schwinn. We choose 3G Bikes because it isn't Elektra. Why? Because we strive to offer the very best bicycling products on the market, and we won't cut corners there.
- Products for Everyone, not Just One Kind of Cyclist - Bicycling should be accessible and enjoyable for people of all abilities and physical conditions. That's why, in addition to high-performance sport and mountain bikes, we offer bikes that are geared for comfort. Our Day6 comfort bikes allow riders with serious physical challenges to get out and enjoy biking, while our Sun three-wheelers allow people with balance issues to get those wheels spinning.
- Commitment to Service - We've all experienced bad service at one time or another. You should never have to pay for bad service. That's why at Cycle Shack, we stand firmly behind every piece of service work we perform, and every product we sell. We provide timely warranty repairs as well as very quick turnarounds on tuneups and adjustments. And if we don't get something right the first time--which is rare--we take ownership and fix it at our own expense.
- Fitting - The most important first step in selecting a bike is fitting. This means understanding how posture, height, inseam length, and arm length affect the buyer's choice of the bike frame. It also affects how we set up the handlebar rise, sweep, and saddle position on the bike in order to optimize rider comfort and performance. Try getting that at Dick's, or on Amazon.